Skip NavigationSkip to text NavigationGovernment of Ontario
Ontario Ministry of Labour
central siteSend feedback to Ministry of Labourfrançais
I'm not working yetI'm working nowI've got a problemI'm leaving my jobSearch/Site MapContact WorkSmartOntarioWorkSmartOntario Home

What Now? Help Myself: Resources

> Home

If I am injured at work

What if I'm injured at work, or if I feel like something has made me sick?

You can find answers to your questions by selecting the link below or by selecting a link from the menu to the left.

Injuries at work

What do I do first?

  • Report the injury to your supervisor right away or go immediately to the first aid station if the supervisor is not immediately available. Make sure someone alerts your supervisor.
  • Tell your supervisor if you develop any illness or condition (like a skin rash or burning eyes) that you believe happened because of something you were exposed to or were doing at work.
  • If you have to leave the workplace and go to the hospital or doctor's office, your employer will pay for wages for the day of the injury.
  • You are required to file a claim with the WSIB as soon as possible after an accident. If you lose wages or require health care treatment because of the injury or illness, your boss must also file a claim (it's called a Form 7) with the WSIB. If you are less than 16 years old, a parent or guardian will have to sign part of the form.

What do I do next?

  • You can choose your own doctor, but you cannot change doctors without the WSIB's approval. Tell the doctor that the injuries are work-related to ensure the proper forms are completed.
  • Your doctor will send a report on your injury or illness (it's called a Form 8) to the WSIB.
  • The WSIB will contact you once your claim has been filed. You have to follow all instructions from the WSIB, fill out all forms promptly and cooperate in your health care treatment and safe return to work.
  • If for some reason your claim is denied by the WSIB, you have the right to appeal.

What can happen if an injury isn't reported?

Under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, if either you or your employer delays or fails to report a work-related injury or illness, you may be ineligible to receive any money in compensation and your employer may be fined by the WSIB.

I'm not working yet | I'm working now | I'm leaving my job |
| Search / site map | Contact us | Back to home |
| Employment standards at work | Health and safety at work | I've got a problem |
| Ministry of Labour | central site | feedback | accessibility | privacy | françaisGo to Content

This site is maintained by the Government of Ontario, Canada.

This information is provided as a public service by the Government of Ontario. Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the currency and accuracy of the information presented on the site, but readers should verify information before acting on it.

External Links Disclaimer

Copyright information: © Queen's Printer for Ontario, 2002-11